In a physical defensive battle, the Wilmington College women's soccer team earned a scoreless draw with John Carroll Saturday in Ohio Athletic Conference action on Townsend Field in Williams Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams had a couple of optimal scoring opportunities, but the goalkeeping of both teams enabled them to record clean sheets.
- Senior Ana Hosler (Blanchester, OH/Blanchester) recorded six saves, including one in each overtime period.
- Sophomore Alex Vestal (Orlando, FL/Lake Nona) tallied two of Wilmington's four shots on goal. Senior Ashley Lovett (Washington Court House, OH/Senior) and junior Kaitlin Evans (Leesburg, OH/Leesburg Fairfield) had the other two shots on goal.
- The statistics gave a visual display of the equality of the contest. John Carroll recorded nine shots to Wilmington's eight, and had five of the eight corner kicks.
- John Carroll was issued both of the game's yellow cards.
- "I was pleased with our effort tonight," said Wilmington head coach Steve Spirk. "I thought we defended well, and created some chances. I thought their goalie came up and made some big saves. It is what we expect in OAC games. The competition is going to be good."
- "Our defense did a good job tonight, and Ana came up big. That kept us in the ballgame, and helped us get a point tonight."
Wilmington (4-4-2) travels to Bexley 7 p.m. Wednesday for an Ohio Athletic Conference match with Capital.