UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS – The Wilmington College baseball team plated two runs over 18 innings, and dropped a pair of Ohio Athletic Conference games Sunday to John Carroll.
GAME ONE: JOHN CARROLL 16, WILMINGTON 0
- Wilmington committed three errors, allowing eight of the 16 runs to be unearned.
- Sophomore Jared Ferenchak, 1-4, (Concord, OH/Notre Dame Cathedral Latin) lasted one inning, allowing six earned runs on six hits.
- The bullpen of Ryan Collett (Wilmington, OH/Clinton Massie), Joey Hollback (Salem, OH/Sebring McKinney), Jesse Walker (Hillsboro, OH/Hillsboro), Shawn Barnes (Columbus, OH/Whitehall-Yearling ), and Alec Robinette (Lebanon, OH/Little Miami) allowed just two earned runs over seven innings.
- Sophomore Jake Hyatt (Madeira, OH/Madeira) was the only WC player with multiple hits, going 2-for-2 with a double.
GAME TWO: JOHN CARROLL 17, WILMINGTON 2
- After going hitless over his first nine games, the span of 27 at-bats, junior Kyle Short (Trenton, OH/Edgewood) has recorded a hit in six of his last seven games. He was one of two players with multiple hits, going 2-for-4.
- Sophomore Jarett Trautman (Hartville, OH/Field) was 2-for-3 with an RBI. Junior Joshua Chua (Lancaster, England/Claremont [CA]) had the other RBI.
- Due to four errors, nine of the 17 runs were unearned. Junior Tyler McDaniel (Trenton, OH/Edgewood) allowed six runs, one earned, in 2 2/3 innings of relief. Freshman Matt Oney, 3-3, (Carlisle, OH/Carlisle) surrendered nine runs, seven earned, in 3 1/3 innings.
- John Carroll took the lead with a four-run first inning, and put the game away with a nine-run fourth inning.
Wilmington (5-18 overall, 1-5 OAC) returns to OAC action 1 p.m. Tuesday, hosting Ohio Northern (11-12 overall, 2-4 OAC).