FRANKLIN – The Wilmington College baseball team split a non-conference doubleheader with Franklin Sunday, claiming game one 15-7 and falling in game two, 11-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED: Wilmington 15, Franklin 7
- Wilmington scored in seven of the nine innings, and led 9-0 after four innings. The Fightin' Quakers scored four in the first, two in the second and three in the fourth. They tacked on single runs in the sixth and seventh before concluding the scoring with a four-spot in the eighth.
- Junior Joshua Chua (Lancaster, England/Claremont [CA]) finished with a school-record eight RBI in the first game, including his first career home run – a three-run blast in the fourth inning. He also scored four runs for the Fightin' Quakers.
- Freshmen Bryce Fordyce (Cuyahoga Falls, OH/Cuyahoga Falls) and Nick Silvis (Beavercreek, OH/Indian Lake) had multi-hit games.
- Junior Jake Robinson (Westerville, OH/Central), sophomore Ryan Collett (Wilmington, OH/Clinton-Massie), freshman Kasey Bottorff (Columbus, OH/Hamilton Twp.) and freshman Shane Hale (New Lebanon, OH/Dixie) all had multi-RBI games.
- Freshman Matt Oney, 2-0, (Carlisle, OH/Carlisle) earned the victory, yielding just three hits over five innings. He added two strikeouts and five walks.
HOW IT HAPPENED: Franklin 11, Wilmington 6
- Wilmington raced out to a 4-0 lead, but the Grizzlies scored three runs in the third, fourth and fifth innings to claim the 9-4 advantage. All four of the WC runs were unearned.
- Franklin committed seven errors on the game.
- Junior Lane Stevenson (Brookville, IN/Brookville), in his first career start, finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored. He was the only WC player with multiple hits.
- Chua and Robinson finished with three RBI each.
- Freshman Jacob Helterbrand, 0-1, (Hillsboro, OH/Hillsboro) absorb the loss.
Wilmington (3-5) travels to Maryville 1 p.m. Tuesday for a non-conference doubleheader.