WILMINGTON, Ohio- Not only sporting their typical green and white attire, the women's cross country team took to the course Friday wearing purple ribbons to honor fallen teammate Jenna Parlette for the fourth annual JennaStrong Fall Classic. The meet drew in 38 teams and a number of individual, or unattached runners, including a number of Wilmington Cross Country alumni and friends. In total, the event fielded 366 female runners. The motto of the meet, "You run with your lets, win with your heart", also Jenna's life motto, could be witnessed in every single runner on the course, especially Wilmington, as they pushed themselves to their limits to race through to the finish line.
Of the 38 competing teams, the Wilmington College women finished 36th with an average time of 23:37 for the 5k race.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Freshman Kacey Burns (Milford Center, OH/Fairbanks) finished first for the Quakers with a time of 22:18.3. This time earned her 232nd place.
- Fellow Freshman Alison Helmke (Defiance, OH/Tinora) was the next finisher for Wilmington, clocking in at 22:32.4 for 241st.
- Senior Stephanie Fetters (West Milton, OH/Milton-Union) raced in with a time of 23:17.6, which placed her 272nd in the field.
- Freshmen Emma Burke (Hilliard, OH/Darby), Riley Claytor (Fayetteville, OH/Fayetteville-Perry), and Keva Cox (Germantown, OH/Valley View) rounded out the top five finishers for the Quakers. They ran in with times of 24:36.9 for 307th, 25:19.0 for 324th, and 25:46.3 for 331st, respectively.
- The Quakers head into championship season, next. Their first stop is the OAC Championship meet on October 29 at Columbus State Community College Delaware Campus.