The Wilmington College volleyball team got off to a slow start, but improved throughout the match, and fell in straight sets (25-9, 25-14, 27-25) to Baldwin Wallace Saturday in Ohio Athletic Conference action at Fred Raizk Arena in Hermann Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Baldwin Wallace scored 14 of the first 15 points in winning the first set.
- The Yellow Jackets finished the second set with 14 of the last 17 points, and then Wilmington showed its grit and determination in the third set. Trailing 18-10, the Fightin' Quakers rallied to tie the score at 24. However, a service error and three straight attacking errors enabled BW to escape with the victory.
- Freshman Jillian Wesco (Troy, OH/Miami East) finished with a team-high six kills on 22 attacks and eight attacks.
- Sophomore Amber Rox (Lawrenceburg, IN/Lawrenceburg) was efficient with four kills on 17 attacks and zero errors. She added two block assists and a solo block.
- Freshman Karley Schlensker (Fairfield, OH/Stephen T. Badin) added four kills and six digs.
- Sophomore Morgan Householder (Somerset, OH/Sheridan) also recorded eight digs in her first start of the season.
- Sophomore Alyssa McKenzie (Adrian, MI/Adrian) dished out a team-high 15 assists with seven digs and two service aces.
"Today we played a tough team in Baldwin Wallace," said head coach Tim O'Brien. "They had a couple of attackers that created a mismatch against us. I was proud of the way we fought in the third set, even with us coming up short. We are looking forward to getting back in the gym next week to continue working hard and improving."
Wilmington (4-15 overall, 0-3 OAC) travels to Otterbein 7 p.m. Tuesday for Ohio Athletic Conference action.