BATAVIA – The Wilmington College volleyball team stepped away from Ohio Athletic Conference action and fell to UC Clermont in straight sets Thursday, 25-8, 25-23, 25-21, in the ThunderDome.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UC Clermont hit a blistering .476 with 11 kills with one error in 21 attempts in the first set, while the Fightin' Quakers struggled out the blocks with five kills on 29 attempts and eight errors (-.103 hitting percentage).
- Wilmington rebounded to hit better in the second and third sets with hitting percentages of .242 and .071, respectively.
- Freshman Ariel Goforth (Memphis, TN/Bartlett) recorded double-figure kills for the fourth time in her career with 12 kills on 34 attempts. She tied a team-high with nine digs.
- Sophomore Morgan Householder (Somerset, OH/Sheridan) added nine digs for the Fightin' Quakers.
- Freshman Karley Schlensker (Fairfield, OH/Stephen T. Badin) tallied six kills and seven digs.
- Sophomore Summer Wilbur (Manchester, OH/Manchester) dished out a career-high 17 assists.
"We have displayed, at times, our youthful talent," said Wilmington head coach Tim O'Brien. "We need to get better at showing resilience in the face of adversity. I thought Ariel (Goforth) really stood out offensively for us tonight."
Wilmington (4-14 overall, 0-2 OAC) returns home to face Baldwin Wallace (23-1 overall, 1-1 OAC) 1 p.m. Saturday in Ohio Athletic Conference action.