The Wilmington College volleyball team continued to show improvements, but fell to Transylvania in straight sets, 25-14, 25-19, 25-18, Tuesday in non-conference action at Fred Raizk Arena in Hermann Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- For the third time this season, freshman Ariel Goforth (Memphis, TN/Bartlett) finished with double-figure kills, leading the team with 13 kills on 28 attempts.
- Goforth completed her third career double-double with a team-high 11 digs.
- Freshmen Jillian Wesco (Troy, OH/Miami East) and Taylor McCuiston (Troy, OH/Miami East) added four kills each.
- Freshman Lauryn Griewahn (Adrian, MI/Adrian) and sophomore Alyssa McKenzie (Adrian, MI/Adrian) finished with 13 and eight assists, respectively.
- Sophomore Amber Rox (Lawrenceburg, IN/Lawrenceburg) added nine digs.
- The trio of Wesco, sophomore Meghan Koch (Fayetteville, OH/Fayetteville Perry) and freshman Hannah Salyers (Monroe, OH/Monroe) all had three block assists.
"I thought tonight that Ariel had a great game offensively and hit her highest percentage on the year," said Wilmington head coach Tim O'Brien. "I think as a team we are still learning to reduce unforced errors, and that's where we struggled the most tonight. Between serving and serve receive we had too many mistakes and ultimately that was the difference in the match."
Wilmington (4-11) opens Ohio Athletic Conference action 1 p.m. Saturday, hosting John Carroll.