WILBERFORCE – After dropping the first set, the Wilmington College volleyball team fought back to win three straight sets to secure the 22-25, 25-19, 25-16, 25-19 victory over Division II Central State Wednesday at Beacom/Lewis Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wilmington recorded positive hitting percentages in all four sets, including a match-high .250 in the third set.
- Freshman Jillian Wesco (Troy, OH/Miami East) recorded her second straight match with double-figure kills as she recorded 11 kills on 26 attempts. She added a service ace and three digs.
- Sophomore Amber Rox (Lawrenceburg, IN/Lawrenceburg) and freshman Karley Schlensker (Fairfield, OH/Stephen T. Badin) added nine kills each. Schlensker finished with a team-high nine digs and Rox added seven digs for the Fightin' Quakers.
- Schlenker tabulated a team-high four service aces, while freshman Ariel Goforth (Memphis, TN/Bartlett) and freshman Taylor McCuiston (Troy, OH/Miami East) with three aces.
- Freshman Lauryn Griewahn (Adrian, MI/Adrian) dished out 37 assists, marking the third time in her career she finished with more than 30 assists in a match.
- Sophomore Meghan Koch (Fayetteville, OH/Fayetteville Perry) and Goforth finished with two solo blocks and a block assist.
- "I'm happy that we were able to get back on a winning streak tonight," said Wilmington head coach Tim O'Brien. "We were able to implement our game plan in sets two through four, and the team did a great job executing. I though our serving and serve receive was the biggest difference in the match."
Wilmington (2-6) travels to the Manchester University Invitational Friday and Saturday. WC faces the host Spartans 8 p.m. Friday, and will face Boyce College 11 a.m. Saturday and Governors State 1 p.m. Saturday.