CINCINNATI – The Wilmington College volleyball team dropped a pair of straight set matches Saturday, falling to Mount St. Joseph and Cincinnati Christian during the second day of the Charlie Wrublewski Tournament, hosted by Mount St. Joseph.
GAME ONE: MOUNT ST. JOSEPH 3, WILMINGTON 0 (25-18, 25-22, 25-15)
- Sophomore Amber Rox (Lawrenceburg, IN/Lawrenceburg) finished with a team-high 10 kills on 19 attempts with two errors, while freshman Ariel Goforth (Memphis, TN/Bartlett) added six kills.
- Freshman Lauryn Griewahn (Adrian, MI/Adrian) registered 21 assists and four digs.
- Freshman Taylor McCuiston (Troy, OH/Miami East) led the team with six digs.
- "Early on we were very competitive in this match, particularly the first two sets," said head coach Tim O'Brien. "Amber gave us a lot of stability on the outside position and did very well in serve receive. Lauryn also had a very nice game by making consistent sets and good decisions. Unfortunately, the rest of our offense struggled to points and the block of MSJ did a very good job of slowing us down."
GAME TWO: CINCINNATI CHRISTIAN 3, WILMINGTON 0 (25-16, 25-17, 25-16)
- Goforth finished with a team-high 10 kills and seven digs to lead Wilmington.
- Rox was steady defensively with nine digs, and Griewahn dished out 21 assists.
- "During our second match, we were very competitive in the first two sets," said O'Brien. "We struggled to make the necessary changes to close the gaps and win some sets. I thought Ariel had a great game, and we will need everyone to continue playing good consistent volleyball."
Wilmington (1-5) returns home 7 p.m. Tuesday, hosting Ohio Christian in non-conference action.