TIFFIN, Ohio—The Wilmington College women's indoor track and field team opened the 2017-18 season at the non-scored Tiffin Alumni Open. Led by several young, cross country runners, the Fightin' Quakers broke into the top-ten finishes in seven different events.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Kelly Rice (Whitehouse, OH/Anthony Wayne) earned the highest place finish for the Fightin' Quakers. She posted a 6:07.39 to earn third in the one-mile run. She was followed by junior teammate Sarah Pierce (New Carlisle, OH/Dominion Academy), who ran in with a 7:06.20 and earned eighth-place.
- In the 500-meters, sophomore Emma Burke (Hillard, OH/Darby) placed tenth by completing the race in 1:28.92. Burke grabbed another tenth-place finish in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.80.
- Freshman McKenzie Hamm (Blanchester, OH/Blanchester) finished fifth in the 800-meters with a time of 2:46.93. Pierce finished just after, with a time of 3:20.64 to earn seventh-place.
- Fourth-place in the 3000-meters was claimed by sophomore Allison Helmke (Defiance, OH/Tinora) with a time of 12:17.09. Freshman Summer Doty (North Lewisburg, OH/Triad) took fifth-place with a time of 12:35.59.
- The Fightin' Quakers 'A' 4x400-meter relay earned seventh place with a time of 4:43.73. They were immediately followed by the 'B' relay, which earned eighth-place from a time of 4:50.42.
- Senior Lauren Stacy (Bethel, OH/Western Brown) claimed eighth-place in the weight throw from a toss of 15.55-meters.
- The Fightin' Quakers take a break from competition until Saturday, January 13, when they travel to Marietta College for the Marietta Invitational.