The Wilmington College women's swimming team won 10 of 11 events in beating Manchester, 114-51, in Ohio Athletic Conference action Saturday at the Wilmington College Natatorium. The Spartans are affiliate members of the league in swimming.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Three different swimmers claimed two individual events as the Fightin' Quakers won 10 of 11 events.
- Senior Rachel Routzong (Urbana, OH/Urbana) won the 200 freestyle (2:14.91) and the 100 butterfly (1:16.82).
- Sophomore Samantha Glish (Louisville, KY/Ballard) won the 50 freestyle (28.81) and the 100 breaststroke (1:26.79).
- Senior Lydia Wolcott (Miamisburg, OH/Bishop Fenwick) swam to victories in the 200 individual medley (2:49.92) and the 400 freestyle (5:22.35).
- Other individual event victories were Anna Belokur (Towanda, PA/Towanda) in the 100 freestyle (1:07.93) and junior Kathryn Spitznogle (Waynesville, OH/Waynesville) in the 100 freestyle (1:07.93).
- Spitznogle and Glish teamed with senior Rachel Drake (Fairfield, OH/Fairfield) and junior Elyse Spraul (Cincinnati, OH/Mount Notre Dame) to win the 200 medley relay (2:15.39).
- Routzong, Spraul and Belokur was joined by senior Colleen Rueppel (Middlebury, VT/Manheim (PA)) to win the 200 freestyle relay.
- "I was pleased with the overall performance today," said Wilmington head coach Trip Breen. "We had a really long layoff from competition and I always feel like the first meet back is a bit of a challenge. We still have to make that final push with our training and we have an opportunity to race in two more dual meets. They will both be important steps in our preparation for conference in February."
- "We had some people that have really started to put some nice races together," said Breen. "Two of our seniors, Rachel Routzong and Lydia Wolcott both had two individual wins. Lydia swam an impressive 400 freestyle, which is not one of her normal events. It is always fun to watch someone step up and swim a different event and swim well. It was a great individual effort for team success. Rachel won both the 200 freestyle and 100 fly. She has really been training well and I am excited to see the results when we rest at the end of the season. Samantha Glish also won two individual events today, winning the 50 free and 100 breaststroke."
Wilmington travels to Mount Union 1 p.m. Saturday for the last road dual meet of the season.