WILMINGTON, OH – The Wilmington College Fightin' Quakers women's Lacrosse team took on the Thomas More College Saints this evening. Wilmington lost against Thomas More by a score of 8-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Thomas More was able to score two quick goals in the early stages of the first half. Wilmington answered back with two goals of their own, one by freshman Clara Blaine (Lebanon, OH/Lebanon) and another by freshman Summer Wilbur (Manchester, OH/Manchester). This was Wilbur's first collegiate goal scored.
• Thomas More was able to answer back with three straight goals with two of them coming from Christy Smith. Wilmington was able to answer on more time before the end of the half by a goal from Blaine leaving Wilmington trailing 5-3 at the half.
• In the second half Wilmington was able to score four out of the next six goals in the game and tie it up 7-7 with 7:38 left on the clock. Blaine was able to add two more to her total of four goals on the night.
• With 2:26 left on the clock Thomas More was able to put another goal in the back of the net by Erika LaRosa ultimately leading to their victory.
• Offensively Blaine led the way for Wilmington with four goals on six shots.
• Defensively, junior Kara Griffith (Springfield, OH/Springfield) led the way causing four turnovers, and was able to pick up four ground balls.
• Sophomore goalie, Megan Wieloch (Canton, MI/Plymouth) allowed eight goals while totaling 13 saves on the evening.
• "Tonight we were able to put the best 60 minutes together of the season," said Coach Bree Galloway.
• "We have made a lot of progress, but we need to continue to work on capitalizing our offensive possession when we have man up opportunities," said Coach Galloway.
Wilmington (1-7) returns to action 1:00 p.m. Saturday, April 1st, competing away against Baldwin Wallace in this season's second conference game.