The Wilmington College softball team surrendered nine two-out runs Sunday as they were swept in an Ohio Athletic Conference doubleheader at the Wilmington College softball complex. The games marked the final home games for seniors Becca Carpenter (South Charleston, OH/Southeastern), Sydney Kelly (Cincinnati, OH/Sycamore) and Kerrie Trautman (Hartville, OH/Field).
GAME ONE: MARIETTA 4, WILMINGTON 1
- Freshman Micalah Hensley (Houston, OH/Houston) recorded the lone RBI, a bases loaded ground out in the first inning.
- A pair of walks sandwiched a sacrifice bunt in the Marietta fifth, and a two-out, two-run single on an 0-2 pitch gave the Pioneers the 2-1 lead. They added a pair of runs in the seventh inning.
- Freshman KenDahl Bowles (Middletown, OH/Madison) reached base in all three of her plate appearances, a single and two walks.
- Five other players, Carpenter, Trautman, junior Savannah Hooper (Leesburg, OH/Wilmington), freshman Jillia Cook (Canton, OH/Glen Oak) and freshman Grace Yoder (Springboro, OH/Springboro), also had hits.
- Carpenter (1-12) was saddled with the loss, after leaving the game with two-on, and one-out in the fifth due to an injury. She went 4 1/3 innings, surrendering two earned runs on four hits with five strikeouts.
GAME TWO: MARIETTA 5, WILMINGTON 1
- For the second straight game, Hensley recorded a first-inning RBI for the only Wilmington runs of the game.
- Wilmington was held to four hits, three of which came in the first inning.
- Junior Beth Persicano, 2-6, (Knoxville, TN/Cincinnati (OH) Turpin) took a two-hitter into the seventh inning before allowing three insurance runs on four hits in the final inning.
- Hensley, Carpenter, Cook and freshman Bailey Sweeney (Columbus, OH/Bishop Hartley) had hits for Wilmington.
Wilmington travels to Mount Union Saturday for the season finale.