ADA – The Wilmington College softball team dropped a pair of Ohio Athletic Conference games to Ohio Northern Tuesday at the ONU Softball Field.
GAME ONE: OHIO NORTHERN 7, WILMINGTON 3
- The Polar Bears scored five of their seven runs in the fifth inning as seven straight batters reached, six via hit.
- Senior Becca Carpenter, 1-11 (South Charleston, OH/Southeastern) allowed five earned runs on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings. She added five strikeouts and two walks.
- Ironically, Carpenter gave Wilmington the early lead with a two-out double, scoring junior Savannah Hooper (Leesburg, OH/Wilmington) in the top of the first innings.
- Freshman Micalah Hensley (Houston, OH/Houston) had an RBI single in the seventh and freshman Mariyah Burkhardt (Springfield, OH/Kenton Ridge) added an RBI groundout.
- Sophomore Allison Pierce (Troy, OH/Troy) and senior Sydney Kelly (Cincinnati, OH/Sycamore) both had doubles in the loss.
GAME TWO: OHIO NORTHERN 10, WILMINGTON 5
- Ohio Northern raced out to the early lead with five runs in the bottom of the first inning.
- Hensley hit her second career homerun in the third, and Kelly brought home a run in the fourth with a ground out. However, the Polar Bears got both runs back in the bottom half of the fourth.
- Wilmington played long ball in the fifth as freshman Jillia Cook (Canton, OH/Glen Oak) hit a two-run blast and Pierce followed with a solo shot.
- ONU added three runs over her final two plate appearances.
- Cook and Pierce each had two hits for the Fightin' Quakers.
- Burkhardt, 1-5, took the loss allowing seven runs (four earned) in 3 1/3 innings with three strikeouts.
Wilmington travels to Baldwin Wallace 1 p.m. Friday for another OAC doubleheader.