UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS – The Wilmington College softball team struggled offensively Monday as the Fightin' Quakers were swept in an Ohio Athletic Conference doubleheader to John Carroll.
GAME ONE: JOHN CARROLL 6, WILMINGTON 0
- A two-out error in the bottom of the first opened the flood gates, allowing the Blue Streaks to score five runs – four of which were unearned.
- Back-to-back two-out errors enabled JCU to score another run in the fourth inning.
- Senior Becca Carpenter, 1-10, (South Charleston, OH/Southeastern) went the distance, allowing six runs – one earned – on 10 hits with two strikeouts.
- Wilmington tallied two hits in the loss, singles by freshman Grace Yoder (Springboro, OH/Springboro) and senior Kerrie Trautman (Hartville, OH/Field).
GAME TWO: JOHN CARROLL 9, WILMINGTON 1 (SIX INNINGS)
- John Carroll ended the game with six runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, four of them coming with two outs.
- Wilmington scored its lone run as Yoder scored following a two-out error in the fourth inning.
- The Blue Streaks scored twice in the bottom of the first and added a run in the third.
- Freshman Mariyah Burkhardt, 1-4, (Springfield, OH/Kenton Ridge) took the loss, allowing three runs in 2 1/3 innings on eight hits. She was also responsible for two of Wilmington's four hits.
- Junior Beth Persicano (Knoxville, TN/Cincinnati (OH) Turpin) yielded six runs on five hits in 3 1/3 innings. She issued three walks and hit a batter.
Wilmington (5-21 overall, 1-7 OAC) returns to action 3 p.m. Tuesday to face Ohio Northern.