NEW CONCORD – Late-inning rallies in each game enabled the Muskingum Muskies to record an Ohio Athletic Conference sweep of the Wilmington College softball team Wednesday at Donna Newberry Field.
GAME ONE: MUSKINGUM 4, WILMINGTON 2
- Sophomore Allison Pierce (Troy, OH/Troy) hit her first career homerun, a two-run shot in the fifth inning to give Wilmington a 2-1 lead.
- Muskingum reclaimed the lead with three runs in the bottom of the inning. The big blow was an one-out, two-run triple that broke the 2-2 tie.
- Wilmington finished with three hits, singles by junior Savannah Hooper (Leesburg, OH/Wilmington) and freshman Kaylee Barber (Columbus, OH/Westland).
- Senior Rebecca Carpenter, 1-9, (South Charleston, OH/Southeastern) allowed four earned runs in 4 1/3 innings on seven hits with three strikeouts.
GAME TWO: MUSKINGUM 6, WILMINGTON 3
- The Muskies broke a 3-3 tie with three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to seal the sweep. MU started the inning with three consecutive hits to plate a run, and a two-out double added a pair of insurance runs.
- Both teams took advantage of errors to score three runs; Muskingum in the bottom of the first and Wilmington in the top of the second.
- Senior Kerrie Trautman (Hartville, OH/Field) recorded an RBI single, while freshman Grace Yoder (Springboro, OH/Springboro) and freshman Jillia Cook (Canton, OH/Glen Oak) tallied RBI via a walk and hit batter, respectively.
- Wilmington was 2-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
- Freshman KenDahl Bowles (Middletown, OH/Madison) finished the game 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- Freshman Mariyah Burkhardt (Springfield, OH/Kenton Ridge) took the no-decision, allowing three unearned runs on five hits in 2 1/3 innings.
- Junior Beth Persicano, 2-5, (Knoxville, TN/Cincinnati (OH) Turpin) allowed three earned runs on four hits in 3 2/3 innings.
Wilmington (5-19 overall, 1-5 OAC) travels to John Carroll 3 p.m. Friday for an Ohio Athletic Conference doubleheader.