The Wilmington College softball team picked up their first Ohio Athletic Conference win of the season, splitting a home doubleheader with Capital Saturday at the Wilmington College Softball Complex.
GAME ONE: WILMINGTON 6, CAPITAL 4
- Senior Becca Carpenter, 1-7, (South Charleston, OH/Southeastern) earned her first win in the season, hurling her second complete game. She allowed four runs (two earned) on nine hits in seven innings with five strikeouts.
- Carpenter also provided offense in the victory, going 2-for-3 with an RBI. She played a hand in the first run crossing the plate as she singled and reached third on a throwing error, and freshman Jillia Cook (Canton, OH/Glen Oak) scored. Carpenter singled home freshman Grace Yoder (Springboro, OH/Springboro) in the third inning.
- Capital took advantage of a Wilmington miscue to reclaim the lead with two unearned runs in the fourth inning.
- The Crusaders recorded three errors in the bottom of the fourth inning enabling Wilmington to score four unearned runs.
- Wilmington eluded trouble in the fifth – a lead-off double – and in the sixth, a two-out double, to secure the victory.
- Cook was 2-for-3 with a double and run scored, while freshman Kaylee Barber (Columbus, OH/Westland) was 2-for-2 with a run scored.
GAME TWO: CAPITAL 5, WILMINGTON 0
- Wilmington was held to just two hits, a first inning single by junior Savannah Hooper (Leesburg, OH/Wilmington) and a third-inning single by freshman KenDahl Bowles (Middletown, OH/Madison).
- Fightin' Quaker pitching allowed just one earned run in seven innings. Freshman Mariyah Burkhardt, 1-2, (Springfield, OH/Kenton Ridge) surrendered two runs (one earned) on five hits in five innings. Junior Beth Persicano (Knoxville, TN/Cincinnati (OH) Turpin) allowed three unearned runs in two innings.
Wilmington (4-16 overall) stays home 3 p.m. Sunday for a non-conference doubleheader with Mount St. Joseph. The game was originally scheduled for Monday.