OBERLIN – Freshman Mariyah Burkhardt picked up her first career victory and junior Beth Persicano earned her first career save as the Wilmington College softball team split a non-conference doubleheader with Oberlin Tuesday.
GAME ONE: OBERLIN 6, WILMINGTON 2
- Oberlin broke the game open with a five-run fifth inning on six consecutive one-out hits.
- Freshman Jillia Cook (Canton,OH/Glen Oak) opened the scoring with her second home run of the season in the top of the second inning. It was her only official at-bat as she was walked twice and was hit another time.
- The Yeomen knotted the score in the bottom of the second inning.
- With Wilmington trailing 6-1, freshman Micalah Hensley (Houston, OH/Houston), who opened in the sixth with a single, scored on a bases loaded wild pitch. The Fightin' Quakers had a chance to do more damage, but a bases loaded strikeout ended the threat.
- Wilmington left 12 runners on base in the loss.
- Senior Becca Carpenter, 0-7, (South Charleston, OH/Southeastern) allowed three earned on five hits in 4 1/3 innings. She added three strikeouts.
- Sophomore Allison Pierce (Troy, OH/Troy) was the only player with multiple hits, going 2-for-3 with a walk.
GAME TWO: WILMINGTON 6, OBERLIN 5
- In the first start of her career, Burkhardt (Springfield, OH/Kenton Ridge) surrendered four runs, one earned, on five hits in four innings of work with a strikeout.
- Persicano (Knoxville, TN/Cincinnati (OH) Turpin) allowed an earned run on four hits in three innings of relief. She got out of the biggest jam of the game as Oberlin had runners on second and third with no outs, and Wilmington holding onto a one-run lead in the fifth inning. Persicano induced two pop outs and a groundout to escape the situation.
- Wilmington jumped out to a 5-0 lead with an unearned run in the first inning and four in the second.
- Hensley and senior Kerrie Trautman (Hartville, OH/Field) opened the second with back-to-back doubles. Trautman came around to score on a fielding error, and then freshman Kaylee Barber (Columbus, OH/Westland) brought home two more runs with a two-out single. Barber finished with three RBI in the victory.
- OC started its march back with three runs in the bottom of the second, and it added an unearned tally in the third.
- Hensley and Trautman combined to give Wilmington a much-needed insurance run as Hensley stroked a one-out double and scored on Trautman single. Hensley was 2-for-4 with two runs scored, while Trautman was 2-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Junior Savannah Hooper (Leesburg, OH/Wilmington) was 2-for-4 with two runs scored.
Wilmington (3-13 overall) travels to Hanover 3:30 p.m. Wednesday for a non-conference doubleheader.