NAPLES, FL – The Wilmington College softball team continues to search for their first win on the young season as the Fightin' Quakers dropped a pair of games Monday at the Gene Cusic Classic.
GAME ONE: Marian 5, Wilmington 3
- For the fifth time in six games, the Fightin' Quakers jumped out to the early lead.
- Junior Savannah Hooper (Leesburg, OH/Wilmington) manufactured the first run. She opened with a bunt single, stole second, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on a passed ball.
- Junior Sawyer Hooper (Leesburg, OH/Wilmington) started the rally in the third inning with a single, and moved to second on a freshman Grace Yoder (Springboro, OH/Springboro) single. They scored on a double by senior Becca Carpenter (South Charleston, OH/Southeastern).
- The Sabres pulled to within a run with a two-run shot in the fourth, and claimed the lead with a three-spot in the fifth.
- Carpenter, 0-3, allowed five runs on seven hits in 4 2/3 innings with five strikeouts.
- Savannah Hooper finished 2-for-4 with a run scored and two stolen bases, while Yoder was 2-for-3 with a run scored.
GAME TWO: Curry 4, Wilmington 1
- The Colonels took advantage of a pair of Wilmington errors to score two runs in the top of the first inning.
- WC scored its lone run as Savannah Hooper singled, stole second and scored a back-to-back groundouts. She finished with a pair of hits and two stolen bases.
- Curry added singles runs in the fourth and sixth innings.
- Freshman Bailey Sweeney (Columbus, OH/Bishop Watterson), in her first career start, went 2-for-3, while junior Chandler Fields (Delaware, OH/Rutherford B. Hayes) was also 2-for-3.
- Junior Beth Persicano, 0-2, (Knoxville, TN/Cincinnati (OH) Turpin) yielded three runs, one earned, on 10 hits over five innings of work.
After a day off Tuesday, Wilmington returns to action 11 a.m. Wednesday. The Fightin' Quakers will play Nichols before playing Centenary 1 p.m. Wednesday.