Oct 28, 2016
ADA - The Wilmington College men's swimming team traveled to Ohio Northern University, Friday to compete in their second OAC dual meet of the year. The Fightin' Quakers swam well, catching many in-season and lifetime bests in the meet. The meet had an untraditional collegiate format- the teams competed in various 50-yard events, in addition to the usual line-up. The Fightin' Quakers fell to the Polar Bears 196-66.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Andrew Stewart (Wilmington, OH/Clinton-Massie) brought home the team's highest finish, placing first in the 50 Yard Freestyle with a time of 22.17. Stewart also finished second in the 100 Yard Freestyle, touching the wall in a time of 49.43.
- Freshman Jared Shoemaker (Springfield, OH/Shawnee) totaled three lifetime bests throughout the course of the meet. He competed first in the 200 Yard Freestyle and clocked in with a 2:17.08. This time earned him sixth place. His next personal best was earned a short moment later in the 50 Yard Freestyle; he finished in 26.58, once again placing him sixth in the field. The 50 Yard Butterfly was his last individual event of the night, an unconventional race for a collegiate meet; yet, Shoemaker still bested himself, going a personal best time of 29.21. This time earned him sixth place.
- Sophomore Lawrence Daya, racked up an in-season best for the Fightin' Quakers and himself in the 100 Yard Backstroke. Daya clocked in with a time of 59.82 and earned fourth place.
- Junior Cody Nash (Kingsburg, CA/ Kingsburg) finished second for Wilmington in the 1000 Yard Freestyle (10:54.53). Nash also competed in the 100 Yard Individual Medley, finishing sixth for the team (1:02.39).
- Seniors Erik Spraul (Cincinnati, OH/Princeton) and Brendan Tirado (Dayton, OH/Oakwood) brought home some high finishes for the Fightin' Quakers, as well. Tirado finished second in the 200 Yard Freestyle (1:49.08) and Spraul second in the 100 Yard Butterfly (56.43).
- E.Spraul and Tirado teamed up with Jason Prible (Bluffton, IN/Bluffton) and Stewart for the 200 Yard Freestyle Relay. The team finished second with a time of 1:31.55.
HEAD COACH TRIP BREEN QUOTES
- "Ohio Northern is a good team but I think we stepped up and swam well. We had a lot of lifetime bests in the second meet of the season, which is really impressive. That's what good competition brings out of you."
- "I was extremely impressed by Jared Shoemaker. Transition is hard for the freshman, and to have him go three lifetime bests in the second meet of the season is great. He's learning how we want him to race and it's paying off."
- The Fightin' Quakers head to a Tri-Meet at Wittenberg University against Wittenberg and Transylvania University 1 PM Saturday.