KNOXVILLE, TN – The Wilmington College men's soccer team fell to 1-1 on the season with a 2-1 loss to Maryville Saturday in non-conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wilmington had two disallowed goals in the first five minutes of the game, according to head coach Bud Lewis.
- Freshman Willie Winald (Asa, Sweden / Elof Lindalv) scored the team's only goal. He has now scored in both games. After Wilmington knocked the ball around in the box following a corner kick, Winald found the back of the net.
- Sophomore Nati Wallis (Clarksville, OH/Landmark Christian) was the lone player with multiple shots, finishing with two of Wilmington's six attempts.
- Senior Chris Bourque (Batavia, OH/Batavia) recorded three saves on five shots to absorb the loss.
- "We started strong, and really played strong for 90 minutes," said head coach Bud Lewis. "You have to give (Maryvile) credit; they are a good team – a NCAA tournament team last year. We battled hard, but unfortunately, we couldn't connect on our chances."
- "I am proud of our team; we showed character. It was a tough loss, but we gained confidence that we could play with good teams," said Lewis.
Wilmington (1-1) travels to Denison 7 p.m. Tuesday in non-conference action.