The Wilmington College baseball team dropped a pair of Ohio Athletic Conference games Sunday at Delaney-Tewksbury Field to Mount Union.
GAME ONE: MOUNT UNION 12, WILMINGTON 1
- Junior Joshua Chua (Lancaster, England/Claremont [CA]) was responsible for Wilmington's lone run, hitting a solo home run in the fourth inning – pulling WC to within 4-1. He recorded two of Wilmington's four hits.
- Mount Union gave itself a comfortable cushion with a five-run sixth inning.
- Freshman Matt Oney, 3-6, (Carlisle, OH/Carlisle) took the loss, allowing five runs (three earned) on seven hits with four walks and a strikeout.
- Sophomore Jake Hyatt (Madeira, OH/Madeira) doubled in the first inning and junior Jake Robinson (Westerville, OH/South) singled in the fifth for WC's other hits.
- Wilmington pitching surrendered 12 hits in the game, but half of their 12 runs were unearned.
GAME TWO: MOUNT UNION 9, WILMINGTON 5
- Mount Union scored two runs in the sixth, seventh and ninth innings to finish off the sweep and secure the regular season Ohio Athletic Conference championship.
- The sixth inning was pivotal in the outcome of the game. The Purple Raiders loaded the bases thanks to an error and two bunt singles, and then scored the go-ahead run on a walk. Mount Union added another run thanks to a sacrifice fly.
- Hyatt kicked off the bottom of the sixth with a long homerun to left field, and after Chua ripped a single up the middle – the MTU starter yielded to the bullpen. The visitors escaped more damage with a double play and strikeout.
- Hyatt had all three of Wilmington's RBI, a single in the first inning and a sacrifice fly in the third.
- Robinson and freshman Shane Hale (New Lebanon, OH/Dixie) combined for half of Wilmington's eight hits.
- Sophomore Joey Hollback, 0-5, (Salem, OH/Sebring McKinney) absorbed the loss, allowing five runs (four earned) on eight hits in five innings of work.
Wilmington (7-30 overall, 2-14 OAC) stays home for a single nine-inning game 4 p.m. Wednesday, hosting Wittenberg in non-conference action.