SPRINGFIELD – The Wilmington College baseball team committed four errors, leading to four unearned runs, in an 8-2 non-conference loss to Wittenberg Tuesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wittenberg jumped on WC early with an unearned run in the first inning, and five in the second. Three of the five runs were unearned.
- Freshman Jacob Helterbrand, 0-4, (Hillsboro, OH/Hillsboro) suffered the loss, allowing four runs – one earned – on one hit in 1 1/3 innings. He also surrendered four walks in his outing.
- Wilmington scored its only two runs in the fourth inning as sophomore Jarret Trautman (Hartville, OH/Field) scored sophomore Ryan Collett (Wilmington, OH/Clinton Massie) and junior Daniel Hayes (Beavercreek, OH/Beavercreek) plated junior Kyle Short (Trenton, OH/Edgewood) on a sacrifice fly.
- The Tigers added a single run in the fourth and another tally in the eighth to round out the scoring.
- Short continued his hot hitting, going 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- Sophomore Gage Bley (Harrison, OH/Harrison) finished the day 2-for-3, while Collett was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
Wilmington (5-14) returns to Ohio Athletic Conference action 1 p.m. Saturday with a doubleheader at Capital.