SEWANEE – The Wilmington College baseball team managed one run in dropping both ends of the doubleheader to Sewanee as the Tigers completed the three-game sweep.
SEWANEE 3, WILMINGTON 1 (GAME ONE)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Jared Ferenchak (Concord, OH/Notre Dame Cathedral Latin) scattered seven hits over six innings for the no decision. The southpaw allowed one earned run with three strikeouts and a walk.
- Sophomore Joey Hollback, 0-1, (Salem, OH/Sebring McKinney) took the loss, surrendering two runs (one earned) in an inning of work. Freshman Matt Oney (Carlisle, OH/Carlisle), in his first collegiate appearance, had three strikeouts in one inning.
- Wilmington scored its only run in the third inning as sophomore Alec Robinette (Lebanon, OH/Little Miami) led the inning off with a single and moved to second on a junior Daniel Hayes (Beavercreek, OH/Beavercreek) single. Robinette stole third, and scored on a groundout by sophomore Jake Hyatt (Madeira, OH/Madeira).
- Robinette finished with a career-high three stolen bases, including two swipes of third, and was 2-for-4 on the day.
- Junior transfer Joshua Chua (Lancaster, England/Claremont, CA) added a two-hit game.
SEWANEE 4, WILMINGTON 0 (GAME TWO)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wilmington was limited to three hits, one each by Chua, Hyatt and freshman Kasey Bottorff (Columbus, OH/Hamilton Twp.).
- The Tigers scored a pair of runs in the first inning and added two insurance runs in the sixth.
- Freshman Jacob Helterbrand, 0-1, (Hillsboro, OH/Hillsboro) allowed two runs on two hits in three innings with five strikeouts and three walks. Oney hurled two more scoreless innings on two hits.
- Sophomore Ryan Collette (Wilmington, OH/Clinton Massie) allowed two earned runs in 1/3 innings facing three batters.
Wilmington (0-3) returns to action noon March 4 to face Mount St. Joseph in non-conference action at UC Health Stadium in Florence, Ky.