SEWANEE, TN - The Wilmington College baseball team opened the 2017 season by falling to Sewanee Saturday, 19-4, in non-conference action at Montgomery Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wilmington pounded out 13 hits with six different hitters accounting for multiple hits.
- Junior Daniel Hayes (Beavercreek, OH/Beavercreeek) tied a career-high with three knocks (3-for-4) with two runs scored.
- Junior transfer Joshua Chua (Lancaster, England/Claremont [CA]), sophomore Jake Hyatt (Madeira, OH/Madeira), sophomore Gage Bley (Harrison, OH/Harrison), sophomore Ryan Collette (Wilmington, OH/Clinton Massie) and freshman Nick Silvis (Beavercreek, OH/Indian Lake) all had two hits.
- Wilmington scored three of its four runs in the top of the ninth.
- The Tigers scored eight runs in the bottom of the first inning with starter Jarett Trautman (Hartville, OH/Field) surrendering seven earned runs on four hits in 2/3 of an inning. Trautman walked two batters and hit another.
- Freshman Lance Fleischman (Milford, OH/Milford) was the only pitcher of the four used to not surrender a run. The southpaw hurled 1 2/3 innings of two-hit baseball.
Wilmington (0-1) remains in Tennessee for a doubleheader with the Tigers. Due to weather concerns the doubleheader was moved from Saturday to Sunday. The first game starts at noon.